New Delhi, Feb 23: Janata Party leader Subramanian Swamy on Thursday filed a petition in the Supreme Court challenging the decision given by a Delhi trial court that dismissed his plea to make Union Home Minister P Chidambaram a co-accused in the 2G scam. Earlier on Feb 4, the petition was dismissed by Judge OP Saini in a trial court.
Swamy's plea was that the then finance minister during the scam-tainted 2G spectrum allocations be made a co-accused in the case with former telecom minister A Raja.
The judgement was crucial for the scam-embroiled United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government since making Chidambaram a co-accused would have been seen as a blot on not only one of the tallest and erudite leaders of Congress but also the Prime Minister.
Swamy had argued that documents proved that Chidambaram was as much a party to the decisions on the 2G spectrum allocations as former Telecom Minister A Raja, now in jail, and he has a lot things to answer.
Swamy contended that Chidambaram knew about everything and was the "bade ustad" (big fish) while Raja was "chote ustad" (smaller fish). He said as finance minister it was the job of Chidambaram to control Raja from distributing the licences.
Raja had kept both Chidambaram and the Prime Minister briefed on everything, Swamy said.
He said national security was compromised by allocating spectrum to companies closely associated with Pakistan.
Swamy contended that Chidambaram had informed the Prime Minister of the prerogative of the finance and telecom ministers to decide spectrum prices and that it was not possible for Raja to go ahead without the finance ministry blessings.
Touted to be the biggest corruption scandal of independent India, the 2G scam, allegedly masterminded by ex-minister A Raja, pertains to a biased distribution of mobile airwaves and operating licenses, in lieu of kickbacks, to telcos that could have cost the treasury up to Rs 1.76 lakh crore in lost revenue, according to the government's auditors CAG.